She’s the author of The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark.
In this episode we talk about how spirituality can be a bit stuffy or pretentious. Sera drives home the point that it’s about following your true passions and interests.
Being “spiritual” isn’t about following some set of rules — it’s about fiercely being yourself. And that takes guts.
If you’re NOT interested in the whole “spiritual” scene, this discussion may light you up. We talk about rebellion, sex, thigh high boots, great food and a few of the things the Bible warned us about.
In this episode:
- The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
- The Spiritual Cowgirl
- Unorthodox approach to spirituality
- Being your self is the essence of being spiritual
- Pretentious Spiritual Types
- Sera Beak is Satan
- Disturbing the Buddhists
- Don’t be provocative just for the sake of being provocative
- Provoke with compassion
- Be your authentic self
- Reclaiming spirituality from those who have made it boring
- Brazilian bikini waxed prayers
- Trying to fit into external expectations of what is spiritual
- How to get real and present Inside out spirituality vs cookie-cutter spirituality
- Living from a larger place is a turn on to others
- Where do men base their value? If it’s from the inside it is sexy
- Doesn’t have to be esoteric or woo-woo
- Why is it so hard to answer the question, “who am I?”
- Cultural expectations, rules and cues
- Not necessary to read a ton of books or go to workshops
- Stop following the crowd unconsciously
- Standing out from the crowd
- Social resistance doesn’t mean it’s wrong
- How giving birth is painful but not wrong
- Growing and learning to be yourself can be uncomfortable
- Discern what pain means you’re going down the wrong road and what pain is part of the process of growingHow are we different from other cultures?
- Becoming who we are is the natural human condition
- Westerners are lucky
- Privilege of being able to pursue spirituality in life
- Make the most of the privilege
- What is “red”?
- Spiritual Super-heroines
- Sex toys, good wine and gold body glitter
- Fashion Humor
- Green vs Red
- Humping Trees vs Hugging Trees
- Making love to all existence
- Fist-f##ked by Mother Nature
- Where to men fit in?
- Masculine and Feminine doesn’t necessarily mean Male or Female
- Being more passionate, playful and authentic
- Fierce love knows no gender
- Bringing the feminine back to spiritual practice
- What is sexy?
- The danger “spiritual” ways of being
- The Devil Wears Crocs
- Thigh High Boots
- What the hell is “red” for me?
- Sera’s Offerings
About Sera Beak, Author, “Spiritual Cowgirl”
Sera Beak is a world-traveled Harvard-trained scholar of comparative religion and an intrepid “spiritual cowgirl.” Her first book, The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark, is aimed at jaded, yet still spiritually curious young women, although the material speaks to all ages and genders. She calls the book a “firestarter.”
Sera is called “a woman who is hands down the freshest, boldest breath of fresh air spirituality has heard, read or seen in decades” by Maureen Moss, author, motivational speaker, and radio host of worldpuja.org
Get Stuff Done.
Developed by professional coach Tripp Lanier, The Daily Toolkit teaches you the small steps that create big changes.