Dealing with Financial Challenges in Your Marriage
Is money a difficult conversation in your marriage?
Do you and your partner focus on solutions or figuring out who’s to blame?
And if you don’t trust yourself to follow through on challenges, then why should your partner trust you either?
In today’s coaching call, I talk with a guy who’s in a contentious marriage that’s facing some financial challenges. But when we take a deeper look, we discover that there’s something far more toxic poisoning their relationship. We discuss ways to clean up his side of the street, set some healthy boundaries, and put an end to the drama so that both partners can have what they ultimately want.
In this interview:
- Money issues in your marriage
- Giving up your passion to pay the bills
- Expectations vs agreements: Steve Chandler
- Why hope is a trap
- Having an adversarial dynamic vs a partnership
- When is it time to set a boundary with our partner?
- Why we’d rather stay in conflict than make a change
- Why integrity with yourself is key to healthy relationships with others
- “If you don’t trust you then I can guarantee she doesn’t trust you.”
- The Drama Triangle and David Emerald’s Empowerment Dynamic
Note: What you’re about to hear is an actual coaching call. The person being coached volunteered and gave explicit permission to have our conversation recorded for this podcast.
About Tripp Lanier
Tripp Lanier is a professional coach, author of This Book Will Make You Dangerous, and host of The New Man Podcast: Beyond the Macho Jerk and the New Age Wimp which — for over a decade — has been downloaded millions of times.
Since 2005, he has spent thousands of hours coaching people all around the world to get out of the rat race, become an authority in their field, and make a great living doing the work they were put on this earth to do. Over the years he’s designed several businesses to support a simple lifestyle focused on freedom, ease, meaning, and fun.