Knowing When to Quit
Does learning a difficult task feel the same as doing it well?
And what life lesson can we learn from cheesy 80’s action movies?
In this excerpt from This Book Will Make You Dangerous, we talk about the desire to quit, the magical, hollywood montage, and my covert black ops swimming lesson.
In this episode:
- Should we give up or stick it out?
- Learning something vs doing something well
- Old school “tough love” swimming lessons
- Why we bail when we’re in the learning phase
- How to embrace the parts the make others quit
Tripp Lanier is…
Tripp Lanier is the author of This Book Will Make You Dangerous, and host of The New Man Podcast: Beyond the Macho Jerk and the New Age Wimp which — for over a decade — has been downloaded millions of times.
As a Professional Coach…
Since 2005, he has spent thousands of hours coaching people all around the world to get out of the rat race, become an authority in their field, and make a great living doing the work they were put on this earth to do. Over the years he’s designed several businesses to support a simple lifestyle focused on freedom, ease, meaning, and fun.
As Host of The New Man Podcast…
Tripp Lanier has conducted hundreds of interviews with experts and authors from all walks of life including:
- Tim Ferriss (The 4 Hour Workweek, The 4 Hour Body, The 4 Hour Chef)
- Laird Hamilton (Big wave surfing legend)
- Ryan Holiday (The Obstacle is the Way, The Ego is the Enemy, The Daily Stoic)
- Phil Stutz and Barry Michels (The Tools, Coming Alive)
- Dan Millman (Way of the Peaceful Warrior)
- Steven Pressfield (The War of Art, Turning Pro)
- Robert Greene (48 Laws of Power, Mastery)
- Steven Kotler (The Rise of Superman, Stealing Fire)
- Mark Manson (The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck)
- Aubrey Marcus (Founder/CEO of Onnit)
- Dr. Robert Glover (No More Mr Nice Guy)
- Navy SEAL Mark Divine (Unbeatable Mind, The Way of the SEAL)
- Jonathan Haidt (The Happiness Hypothesis, The Righteous Mind, The Coddling of the American Mind)
- Neil Strauss (The Game, The Truth)
- Alan Alda (legendary actor and NY Times best selling author)
As a Human Guinea Pig…
Tripp has thrown himself into everything from 10 day silent meditation retreats to plant medicine journeys to men’s groups in the Costa Rican jungle to somatic sex intensives in his bedroom to drinks with Zen masters — He even learned some life lessons by hanging out backstage with David Lee Roth.
At the age of 23, Tripp created one of the first digital video post-production companies in the Southeast. To support his music career and love for travel, he crafted TV shows and commercials for national and regional clients. Wanting to align his personal values with his work in the world, he sold the company after 12 years to become a professional coach. Other contributions include working with world-renowned philosopher Ken Wilber as Co-Director of Integral Institute’s Art Center.
Tripp is married to therapist/relationship coach Alyson Lanier and has the best daughter in the whole wide world. They live in a small beach town in North Carolina where he spends much of his time surfing, playing music, and enjoying a simple life.
Dial in Your Daily Routine.
Developed by professional coach Tripp Lanier, The Daily Toolkit teaches you the small steps that create big changes.